Continuing Your Work with Fundations Students During COVID-19 Closures
When facing a situation in which students need to be away from school for an extended period of time, such as the current COVID-19 pandemic, teachers and schools will need to find ways to ensure that students receiving Fundations® instruction remain on track with their progress as much as possible. Wilson Language Training® recognizes that exploring how best to address the needs of your students in such a circumstance is important to you, while continuing to keep yourself, students, and other faculty members safe.
Each Fundations® lesson has several varied activities that involve movement, manipulatives for both teachers and students, and informal formative assessments with immediate teacher feedback throughout – all critical parts of instruction. While we recognize that some schools may be considering the utilization of an online meeting/instructional software program to connect with students remotely, effective Fundations lessons will be difficult. Thus, we are not recommending whole class instruction via the internet. Rather, we are providing recommendations for at-home activities that will provide an opportunity for students to review skills and develop word automaticity and fluency.
- Review the at-home activities: Expert Tip – Fundations at Home and Additional Fundations at Home Recommendations
- Send home packets that include Home Support worksheets and Fluency Kit drills. If students are already out of school and copies were not yet made, we have provided access to these resources on the web and allow limited permission to electronically transmit to students. See: Fundations Resources
- Utilize the Printable Resources in Wilson Academy’s Prevention Learning Community for Fundations.
- At this time, we are pleased to provide you with 6 months of complimentary access to the Wilson Academy: Prevention/Early Intervention Learning Community for Fundations.
- If you don’t already have a Wilson Academy account, create one by visiting the Registration page for the Prevention/Early Intervention Learning Community for Fundations. Once you are done, you will receive an email to finalize your registration.
- Already have an account but forgot your username or password? Contact Customer Support at 800.899.8454 or via https://www.wilsonlanguage.com/contact-us/.
- Explore the companion app for Wilson’s Just Words® program called Just Words InterActivities. This app aligns with the Just Words program specifically, but because the programs are based on the same principles of instruction, the drill sounds and build words screens that include letter tiles may be adapted for Fundations instruction. First, you will need to enroll in the Wilson Academy Intervention Learning Community for Just Words. Visit that Registration Page to create a complimentary account if you don’t already have one.
- For those schools that have purchased Geodes®, we recommend sending home the black-and-white student copies for reading and fluency practice. Great Minds® has also made some Geodes books available as part of Knowledge on the Go™.” NEW!
If you have any questions about the Fundations professional learning that was scheduled this spring with your school or district, please reach out directly to your administrator or local point of contact. Wilson has been working closely with schools and districts to make the adjustments needed in your professional learning plan during this difficult time, and your administrator/local point of contact will have the most up-to-date information for you.
We appreciate the effort that teachers and districts are making to help students smoothly transition during this challenging time, both socially and academically. Please reach out to us at 800.899.8454 with questions and concerns, and we will do our best to work together with you to ensure that your students have what they need to be successful, wherever they are.
For more information and updates on COVID-19, please visit the CDC’s website.
Although Wilson Language Training would not consider it an infringement to transmit an image of Wilson materials via WebEx™, Skype, Zoom, or similar technology, it is an infringement to scan, post, or email Wilson materials for any purpose, including an online lesson. However, given the unique situation due to COVID-19 related closures, and our hope that teachers can continue with their students, Wilson Language Training will allow the scanning of pages if needed during this period of extended closures. The electronic transmissions are limited to the pages needed for a particular lesson, not the entire product. The pages are to be shared directly with students. Please do not forward or post to the internet. Thank you for your consideration.