Confidently implement a structured phonics, spelling, and handwriting curriculum with comprehensive and engaging materials.
Each Level of Fundations is supported by comprehensive instruction and student materials that allow K–3 teachers to confidently present a carefully structured, multisensory phonics and spelling curriculum using engaging techniques.
Prevention Model (Tier 1)
How skills and concepts are taught is equally as important as what is being taught. Fundations materials support an integrated approach to learning, decoding, spelling, and handwriting skills. Learning to read is made fun while laying the groundwork for lifelong literacy.
The initial implementation of Fundations will likely require the Fundations Classroom Set for 20 or 25 students. The Classroom Set includes the Teacher’s Kit plus all student consumable and durable materials for the selected program Level. The Teacher’s Kit contains all the instructional materials a teacher needs for the specific Level (K–3), plus one set of student materials. In subsequent years of implementation, consumable materials will need to be replaced. Each student will need their own durable and consumable materials for that Level. The Fundations Pre-K Activity Set includes all pre-k instructor materials and student materials for classroom implementation. Details about items are available on our Online Store.
Early Intervention Model (Tier 2)
Intervention teachers often teach students at various Levels throughout the day. The Fundations Multi-Level Kits provide the materials needed to teach different Levels. Each Multi-Level kit comes with a full Teacher’s Kit plus materials from other Levels necessary to deliver effective instruction for a range of Fundations Levels.
Laying the Groundwork
Explore the sections on Teacher and Student Materials to learn more about K–3 items.
Fundations® offers comprehensive program materials, allowing K–3 teachers to confidently present a carefully structured phonics and spelling curriculum using engaging, multisensory techniques.
Each Level of Fundations offers multiple purchasing options that can meet your individual classroom needs. Classroom Sets, a Teacher’s Kit, and individual items are available. Key Level-specific materials in a Teacher’s Kit include a detailed manual with day-to-day learning plans and extensive support materials to demonstrate new concepts using visual and kinesthetic strategies as described below.
- Teacher’s Manual (Level-specific):
- Detailed, easy-to-follow daily learning plan and thorough activity procedures
- Scope and sequence of all skills learned in the program Level
- Activities sequenced by day with a detailed, easy-to-use schedule
- “Getting Ready” boxes at the start of each unit outline Materials, Home Support, and Learning Activities
- “Daily Plan” boxes outlining both teacher and student materials needed for each lesson
- Suggestions for differentiated instruction for advanced, ELL, and struggling students
- A section on each Learning Activity, including Synopsis, Procedure, Differentiation, and Cue Sheet of teacher’s actions and students’ responses
- Unit Tests to determine student mastery
- Extensive resource of controlled text for each unit
- Companion membership to the Level-specific Fundations® Learning Community: To enhance your Fundations instruction, this online community provides printable materials/resources, progress monitoring tools, monthly expert tips, and a discussion board monitored by Wilson® Literacy Specialists.
- Activity Cue Cards: These laminated cards on a ring provide a quick reference for Level-specific learning activities. The compact size makes this a desirable teaching tool.
- Home Support Pack: This packet encourages family involvement by informing parents and support personnel about what is happening in the classroom and suggesting home activities that reinforce classroom learning. Includes reproducible letters to parents explaining each unit, and home activity sheets. Corresponds to the sequence of respective Teacher’s Manual.
- Owl Puppets : A lovable addition to the classroom, Echo puppets are effective helpers for promoting student responses. Echo is a large snowy owl with a swivel head. Baby Echo fits on a ruler or pointer.
- Sentence & Syllable Frames: The Level K and Level 1 sets include eight blue frames for sentence work (two show the shape for a capital letter), three punctuation squares, three white syllable frames, two yellow suffix frames. Level 2 set includes 20 yellow suffix frames and four white syllable frames .
- Alphabet Wall Strip (Levels K, 1, and 2): The Aa-Zz strip hangs on the classroom wall for a quick reference of alphabet order, letter formation, and keywords.
- Cursive Alphabet Wall Strip (Level 3): The Aa-Zz strip hangs on the classroom wall for a quick reference of cursive letter formation, alphabet order, and keywords.
- Keyword Puzzles (Level K): A fun and effective way to associate letters (Aa-Zz), keywords, and sounds; each keyword picture piece is designed to match with the correct letter.
- Large Sound Cards: These Level-specific cards present keyword pictures and letters for phonemes introduced and reviewed at each Level.
- Standard Sound Cards: These Level-specific cards are used to drill sounds and teach word structure. Letters are printed on one side; keywords and sounds are printed on the reverse for previously taught sounds and sounds introduced in the respective Level.
- Trick Word Flashcards (Levels K, 1, and 2): Level-specific, these cards are used to develop automatic recognition of high frequency and irregular words. Words with irregular patterns or untaught word patterns according to the scope and sequence of the respective Level are taught as words to be recognized and spelled quickly and easily.
- Sound Alike Flashcards (Level 3): Homophones that are taught in each unit are presented on flashcards and are used in an activity to help students develop vocabulary and spelling skills with homophones.
- Word of the Day Cards: Level-specific (for Levels 1, 2, and 3) cards are provided for each unit in the respective Level; used to review word structure and meaning.
- Magnetic Strips: These strips affix to media for easy manipulation on ferrous surfaces. Precut adhesive pieces offer easy application.
- Manuscript Letter Formation Guides (Levels K, 1, and 2): Aa-Zz laminated cards on a ring provide step-by-step verbalizations for lowercase and uppercase manuscript letter formation on the Wilson grid. The compact size makes this a desirable teaching tool.
- Cursive Letter Formation Guides (Level 3): Easy to use Aa-Zz laminated cards on a ring provide step-by-step verbalizations for lowercase and uppercase cursive letter formation on the Wilson grid. The compact size makes this a desirable teaching tool.
- Fundations Large Writing Grid (2-pack): This two-sided grid is laminated for classroom dictation work with a dry erase marker. A grid for letter formation is on one side, and a grid for writing words is on the reverse.
- Fluency Kits (Levels 1 and 2): Each is Level-specific and matches the scope and sequence of the respective Teacher’s Manual. Each Kit contains controlled sound drills, real and nonsense words, trick words, phrases, and controlled-text stories (phrased and unphrased) for each unit on reproducible laminate stock. A recording form is included for time drills.
- Stories Set 1: Six beautifully illustrated readers written by Barbara Wilson are designed specifically for Level 1 students. This set provides highly-decodable, controlled text stories for reading practice.
- Books to Remember 2: Five decodable stories written by Laura Appleton-Smith provide additional practice with connected text for Level 2.
- Classroom Poster Sets: Each Level-specific Fundations Classroom Poster Set offers students a visual reminder of the concepts taught in the respective Level.
- Vowel Extension Poster (Levels K and 1): This poster can be cut into strips and used for the Vowel Extension Learning Activity.
- Wilson Cursive® Writing Kit (Level 3): The Wilson Cursive Writing Kit includes an instructor guide, multimedia CD with animated demonstrations for letter formations, laminated worksheets, a Large Writing Grid, Cursive Letter Formation Poster, and a Forward and Backward Slant workbook. Laminated reproducible worksheets (8.5”x 11”) are geared for both right- and left-handed students to practice lowercase and uppercase letters and connectives to ensure mastery.
For more information about specific instructor materials and bundle options, please see our Online Store.
Student manipulatives provide multisensory, interactive opportunities that engage learners in the fun of building foundational literacy. Each Fundations® Student Kit contains two types of interactive materials (or manipulatives): durables and consumables.
Student durables are used by each student and will last from year to year. They include:
- Letter Board: Available in two versions: K–1 or 2–3. The Letter Board is used for arranging Magnetic Letter Tiles or for building words during dictation activities. In the K–1 version, alphabet and syllable frames are printed directly on the board.
- Magnetic Letter Tiles: These tiles are Level-specific and designed to be used with the Letter Board. Tiles are used for phonemic awareness activities and the development of sound-symbol correspondence and spelling. Depending on the Level, Letter Tiles include consonants, vowels (a, e, i, o, and u), digraphs (wh, ch, sh, th, and ck), blank vowel and consonant tiles, and other phonemes introduced in the Level.
- Dry Erase Writing Tablet: The Dry Erase Writing Tablet is two-sided with a large writing grid for letter formation on one side and grids for writing words, sentences, and multisyllabic word work on the other.
- Gel Word Board with Magic Pen (Level 2 only): The Gel Word Board and magnetic-tipped stylus provide a multisensory opportunity to write and finger-trace high frequency sight words.
Student Consumable materials are used by each student and will need to be replaced every year. They include:
- Student Notebook: Student notebooks are provided by Level. Each Level’s notebook matches the scope and sequence of the respective Teacher’s Manual.
- Level K: Used by students for letter formation, keyword pictures, and sounds. Students finger-trace the letters, color the keyword pictures, and write letters.
- Level 1: Used by students as a reference for sounds, spelling rules, vocabulary, and Trick Words. Sections are alphabetized, and space is provided to enter spelling examples, vocabulary, and Trick Words.
- Level 2: Used by students as a reference for sounds, syllable types, spelling rules, vocabulary, and trick words. There is also a dictionary section for spelling options.
- Level 3: Used by students as a reference for sounds, syllable types, rules and Trick Words. Includes a vocabulary section and a sound-alike section where students can write in definitions of words learned in the lesson.
- Composition Books: Specifically designed for Levels 1, 2, and 3, each student has a Composition Book for dictation of sounds, words, and sentences. Composition Books provide the writing guides and structure to assist students with letter formation. Also includes Unit Test scoring grid pages for each Unit Test.
- Desk Strip: A colorful reference tool with Aa-Zz letter/ keyword pictures, numbers, ruler, a counting block, and space for students to print their names. For Level 3, the Cursive Writing Desk Strip is provided.
- My Fundations Journal: Each two-page spread includes a box for drawing and the Wilson grid.
For more information and purchasing options, please see our Online Store.
The Fundations® Pre-K Activity Set includes all Fundations Level Pre-K instructor materials and student materials. Supplies are stored in an attractive box that is easily transported.
The set includes:
- Fundations Pre-K Teacher’s Activity Guide (includes Cue Cards and membership in the Pre-K Learning Community)
- Baby Echo Owl Finger Puppet
- Large Sound Cards
- Standard Sound Cards
- Magnetic Strips
- Alphabet Wall Strip
- Pre-K Basic Keywords Poster
- Vowel Extension Poster
- Keyword Puzzles
- Large Writing Grid
- Manuscript Letter Formation Guides
- Letter Formation Poster
- Trace & Write Grids
- Trace & Write Flipchart
To learn more about of our Pre-K Activity Set curriculum, visit this page.
Online Learning Community
The Fundations Learning Community on Wilson Academy provides educators implementing Fundations with helpful resources and support.
Membership to the Fundations Learning Community is included with the purchase of a Fundations Teacher’s Manual and/or upon enrollment in a Fundations professional learning workshop. For ongoing support, membership is renewable annually at no cost. Click here to learn more about the Fundations Learning Community.
FUN HUB® Virtual Resources
A subscription to the FUN HUB® offers valuable resources for your instruction.
Click here to learn more about the FUN HUB®.
Since our school district has implemented Fundations, we have nearly eliminated the number of students being referred into a reading intervention class or special education. We couldn’t be happier with the success of this program!– Cheryl Ruyle, Elementary School Teacher, CA
Geodes®: Read to Learn While Learning to Read
Rooted in the belief that children are capable of reading to learn while learning to read, Geodes®, are a collection of accessible, knowledge-building books for emerging and developing readers.
Explore our Level-specific workshops to effectively begin teaching the curriculum.
Familiarize yourself with the skills and concepts taught in each of Fundations’ four Levels.
Use in your general education classroom with all students and incorporate the intervention component as needed.