Common Core Standards
The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for English Language Arts and Literacy for grades K–5 specify what students should understand and be able to do by the end of each grade.
The Second Edition of Fundations® was published in the summer of 2012 and includes significant updates to thoroughly and specifically address the rigorous standards presented by the Common Core. In particular, it offers specific, measurable learning objectives that are aligned to the CCSS.
Fundations and CCSS Foundational Standards
Fundations thoroughly teaches the Foundational Skills of the CCSS, and strongly supports the reading, writing, and language standards, providing mastery instruction for many of the goals in each of those areas. Students learn through explicit instruction:
- Fundamentals of reading, including systematic phonics (such as phonological awareness, phonics, and word recognition) and the study of word structure.
- Rules of the English language, including the six syllable types, digraphs, blends, vowel teams, prefixes, roots, and suffixes.
- Recognition of words that do not follow predictable patterns.
- Decoding mastery through many engaging activities. Emphasis is on the application of skills so that students read with sufficient fluency to support comprehension. Differentiation for the amount of practice is achieved through Unit tests, and bi‐weekly progress monitoring for students in Tier 2 small groups.
Fundations and CCSS ELA Language Standards
Fundations provides direct and systematic instruction in:
- Uppercase and lowercase letter formation, which is linked to the foundational skill of letter sounds for both reading and spelling.
- Conventions of standard English spelling for common spelling patterns.
- Spelling of irregular words and frequently confused words (e.g., their, there, they’re).
- Conventions of standard English capitalization and punctuation.
- Reference skills, including application of skills through extensive dictionary work.
- Multiple meaning words and affixes.
- Production and expansion of complete sentences of varied kinds in response to prompts.
Fundations Second Edition Meets the CCSS Quality Standards for Instructional Materials
Significant features include:
- Each level of Fundations has a teacher’s manual for its year-long curriculum, with a detailed scope and sequence for all Units.
- Each day has fully developed lesson plans with a comprehensive two-page presentation, including a quick-glance for the day’s activities and materials to be used by the teacher and student.
- A free companion website provides teachers with additional resources and support, including printable material, animations and video demonstrations, and discussion boards.
- A Home Support Packet provides teachers with a letter to parents and accompanying material for each Unit in each Level.
- Differentiated instruction is provided for advanced and struggling students, ELL students, and students with language-based learning differences. Suggestions appear in learning activities sections and Unit introductions in the Teacher’s Manual, and on the web-based Prevention/Early Intervention Learning Community.
- Fundations provides assessments of student mastery with weekly diagnostic checks and Unit tests. At-risk students receiving small-group Tier 2 Fundations instruction are assessed with the Fundations Progress Monitoring Tool, a curriculum‐based measurement to monitor progress.
For more a more detailed correlation for grades K-3, please see click here.