The Wilson Reading System® follows a ten-part lesson plan that moves at a quick pace with constant interaction between teacher and student. A full lesson requires 90 minutes to complete.
The lesson plan is divided into 3 Blocks.
- Block 1: Parts 1-5 emphasize word study/foundational reading skills.
- Block 2: Parts 6-8 emphasize spelling/foundational writing skills.
- Block 3: Parts 9-10 emphasize fluency and comprehension.
One full lesson consists of all 3 Blocks of instruction (20-30 minutes to complete each Block). A minimum of two complete lessons per week should be taught by (or under the guidance of) a WRS certified instructor. Depending upon the student profile and intensity (group size, lesson length, and frequency), it may take 2-3 years (or more) to complete all 12 Steps.
In order to optimize student learning and attainment of skills, the following schedule is recommended.
When working one-on-one, instruction should be scheduled for the following length and frequency:
- 45 minutes, 4-5 times per week; or
- 60-90 minutes, 2-5 times per week
For small-group instruction, students should be pretested and grouped homogeneously based on similar word attack and spelling measures. When working with a small group, reference the following scoring guidelines for initial grouping:
The ideal group size is up to 4 students. Group size of up to 6 students is appropriate in some settings (i.e., with a highly skilled teacher).
- 45-60 minutes, 4-5 times per week; or
- 75-90 minutes, 2-5 times per week; or
- Optimal intensity: 90 minutes, 5 times per week
Wilson Language Training® recommends that instruction occurs five days a week with a WRS certified instructor. If classes are scheduled for 45-60 minutes, two sessions will be required in order to complete a full 3 Block lesson.