Just Words® Launch Workshop
9:00AM TO 3:30PMadd to calendar
Location: Oxford, MA
Venue: Wilson Language Training
Trainer: Cheryl Koki
Just Words Introductory Workshop
Just Words is a highly explicit, multisensory decoding and spelling program for students in grades 4–12 and adults who have mild to moderate gaps in their decoding and spelling proficiency but do not require intensive intervention. The Just Words curriculum provides a sophisticated study of word structure appropriate for students beyond the elementary grades. It provides direct and explicit teaching of “how English works” for both decoding and spelling automaticity.
This 5-hour workshop provides the practice and guidance needed to effectively begin teaching the Wilson Just Words curriculum.
Upon completion of the course, participants are able to:
- Understand the research base of the why and how of Just Words instruction.
- Understand characteristics of a student who is appropriate for a Just Words class.
- Understand the principles of instruction: explicit, sequential and cumulative instruction that incorporates review, repetition, feedback, and multisensory instruction to engage multiple learning modalities.
- Identify the skills taught in Just Words: word study (phonemic awareness, six basic syllable types in English, spelling rules, common Latin roots, prefixes, and suffixes), vocabulary study, and high frequency words.
- Use the Instructor Manual’s Unit structure and materials, prepare a daily learning plan, and practice lesson activity procedures.
- Administer Progress Checks at the beginning of each Unit and Unit Tests at the end in order to assess students’ progress.
One full day (5 instructional hours)