Frequently Asked Questions
Curious about Wilson Language Training Learning, our products, or our certification programs? Click the arrow on the right-hand side of the accordion to expand your selection.
Wilson provides research-based reading and spelling programs for all ages, kindergarten to adult. Its multisensory, structured curricula have proven effective with a variety of learners, especially those with language-based learning disabilities.
- Fundations® (Levels K–3) serves as a prevention program to help K–Grade 3 students reduce reading and spelling failure. It can be used as a prevention or early intervention program. Under the umbrella of Fundations is the Ready to Rise™ Program, designed to help teachers instruct their rising first and second graders by targeting foundational skills.
- Wilson Just Words® is a highly explicit, multisensory decoding and spelling program for students in Grades 4–12 and adults who have mild to moderate gaps in their decoding and spelling proficiency but do not require intensive intervention.
- Wilson Reading System® is an intensive program for Grades 2–12 and adults with word-level deficits who are not making sufficient progress through their current intervention; have been unable to learn with other teaching strategies and require multisensory language instruction; or who require more intensive structured literacy instruction due to a language-based learning disability, such as dyslexia.
More information about each program, tiers, and curriculum is available here.
Yes, WLT programs, materials, and professional learning are proven to be effective in developing the reading skills of individuals with a language-based learning disability or who have otherwise struggled to learn to read.
Implementation largely depends upon the selected program. Features that are universal between Wilson programs include:
- accessible, multisensory curriculum lead by a certified educator in prescribed time blocks outside of the established classroom curriculum,
- material that is grounded in the science of reading and allows learners to make new connections cognitively, and
- lessons designed to approach language in an explicit and systematic approach that allows learners to access new skills and information by building off of previously learned material.
More specific information for each program is available here.
No, grammar is not directly instructed in WLT programs. This is because students should also be participating in a regular ELA class and would, therefore, receive instruction in grammar through that class. The language skills WLT programs support do help students access the rules and patterns of the English language.
Wilson Language Training (WLT) is committed in its efforts to ensure digital accessibility for people with disabilities, and to provide teachers and students with the appropriate tools to achieve our final goal of Literacy for All.
Student Print Materials
WLT student materials published after 2006 are submitted to the National Instructional Materials Access Center (NIMAC), in compliance with IDEA. We direct requests for accessible format of student materials to NIMAC, which handles providing the format requested and obtaining a User Agreement.
Teachers Print Materials
Upon request by teachers, WLT will provide support in obtaining accessible versions of teacher’s materials. This may include providing PDF versions of materials that teachers may use to adapt them to specific needs (such as converting to larger print). Also, for our online tools, such as FUN HUB® or Wilson Academy®, we strive to conform to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) version 2.1, level AA criteria and to integrate accessibility into our internal practices.
Absolutely. Materials may be purchased over the phone or the internet. Please visit our store homepage. Parents and guardians who homeschool or just want to gain a more in-depth understanding of any of our programs are welcome to register for our workshops and courses which are offered throughout the United States.
Still Have Questions?
There is a WLT representative available who can answer your questions more in-depth.