Wilson Fluency®| Basic
Supplement your reading curriculum with explicit fluency instruction.
Developing Decoding Skills With Connected Text
Students who struggle to read fluently need a lot of practice. Wilson Fluency® | Basic supplements your reading curriculum by providing additional reading practice with explicit fluency instruction. This program provides emerging readers with fluency practice at a student’s instructional reading level. It is appropriate for both younger students with beginning reading skills or for older students who are not reading fluently due to decoding deficits.
- Phonetic and high frequency word practice to improve accuracy and automaticity
- Controlled, short phrases with taught-word patterns and high frequency/sight words
- Longer phrases, presented in meaningful chunks to develop prosody, containing both taught and untaught elements
- Practice with a phrased version of a story followed by the unphrased passage to further develop phrasing and expression
- Comprehension instruction incorporated from the beginning, with students asked to retell each story to monitor comprehension
- Practice with enriched and decodable passages to enhance listening and reading comprehension, and vocabulary
- Non-controlled, decodable passages in the Basic Reader to help students begin to transfer their emerging decoding skills to reading authentic text with support and success
- Assessment tools to measure student rate, accuracy, and prosody are provided for each text
- Detailed instructions to allow teachers to measure student fluency levels in words correct per minute (WCPM), and prosody using the four-level scoring rubric developed by the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)
- Laminated Tally Sheets and Student Recording Forms to make it easy to monitor student progress
- Student Fluency Readers for students to graph their own progress
Wilson Reading System Overview
Brush up on the Wilson Reading System ® (WRS) — who it’s for, what it’s about, and how to implement it.
Wilson Reading System Curriculum
Familiarize yourself with the skills and concepts of the Wilson Reading System.
Wilson Reading System Implementation
Learn how to identify students appropriate for the Wilson Reading System and how to implement it successfully in your classroom.