Facilitator Certification develops programmatic teacher-leaders and a culture of collaborative professional learning that enables school and individual excellence.
Why Develop Facilitators?
Fundations® Facilitators and Just Words® Facilitators are trained to support teachers using the program, promoting student achievement through fidelity of implementation.
Training is specific to a Fundations program level or to the Just Words program, thereby building local capacity to assist teachers with setting up and using the programs successfully. If your school or organization is interested in developing a plan that includes Facilitator Certification, please contact us to start the discussion. Learn more below.
Facilitator Training Overview
The Facilitator Certification program is only offered as part of a school or district’s COMPASS Plan due to the environment needed for this instructional model. Learn the details below.
- Fundations® Facilitator Certification Level K
- Fundations® Facilitator Certification Level 1
- Fundations® Facilitator Certification Level 2
- Fundations® Facilitator Certification Level 3
- Fundations® Facilitator Certification Intervention
- Just Words® Facilitator Certification
Note: To obtain Fundations Facilitator Certification, the individual must fulfill the Facilitator Credential Requirements and Proficiencies for each desired Level of credential.
The Facilitator candidate should have:
- A willingness to take on the Facilitator role as a leader in the school, in the classroom, and among peers.
- The capacity to support other teachers in their building (for example, instructional or reading coaches).
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to work well in collaborative interaction with peers.
- The ability to travel to the demonstration school site to participate in coaching visit activities.
- Experience working directly with students, preferably with Fundations or Just Words.
- Experience assisting other teachers.
- Attended the Level or Launch Workshop that corresponds to the Facilitator Certification within the last five years.
Level I Certification in the Wilson Reading System® (preferred, but not required).
One school year.
The Facilitator must participate in four coaching days at the demonstration school site, complete online coursework, and satisfactorily complete the Certification proficiencies for each program/Level being pursued.
Upon completion of the Certification, Facilitators will be able to:
- Support a common understanding among all teachers of effective program implementation.
- Assist teachers by demonstrating specific activity procedures for the program/Level.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of the selected curriculum and corresponding instruction.
- Assist and support teachers with an understanding of program materials, classroom setup, and access to Wilson’s online learning communities.
- Schedule and facilitate ongoing study groups.
- Determine material needs and assist with the ordering process.
- Utilize a variety of data to measure the outcomes of teaching and learning, and to determine how best to differentiate instruction independently and in collaboration with colleagues.
Fundations Facilitators who are recommended by their Literacy Specialist and meet all prerequisites may also be considered for Presenter Development, which upon completion, allows the individual to conduct program workshops within the district.
Three graduate credits (optional) are offered for each of the following Facilitator courses upon completion of all certification requirements. The Facilitator Certification is listed below with the corresponding official course title, used when seeking credit:
- Fundations Facilitator Certification (Level K, 1, 2 or 3) [General Education Classroom (Tier 1) Foundational Skills with Fundations Facilitator Certification Course (Level K, 1, 2 or 3)]
(Please note that graduate credit is only awarded for one Level of Fundations Facilitator Certification, even if multiple Levels are completed.)
- Fundations Facilitator Intervention Certification [Intervention (Tier 2) Foundational Skills with Fundations Facilitator Intervention Certification Course]
Just Words Facilitator Certification [Classroom (Tier 2) Foundational Skills with Just Words Facilitator Certification Course]
Graduate Credit Process
Graduate credit is available through Fitchburg State University, Fitchburg, MA. Please see Process for Graduate Credit for details.