Just Words® Workshops
Prepare to implement Just Words® in your classroom with practical tips and guidance for an effective start.
The Just Words® Virtual Launch Workshop provides the practice and guidance needed to effectively begin teaching the Wilson® Just Words curriculum.
To support educators after their introductory workshop and during their first year using the program, Wilson offers additional professional learning through Virtual Implementation Support for Just Words. This online community of practice allows for the time and space needed to deepen skills, learn practical tips, and connect with peers across the country.
Ongoing support is provided through our online Wilson Academy®. Just Words instructors access the Just Words Learning Community for the InterActivities Whiteboard application, printable materials, video demonstrations, expert tips, FAQs, discussion boards, and additional resources.
School and District Support
We partner directly with schools and districts to build local capacity to use, support, and sustain the Just Words program. Your Wilson team works alongside school- and district-based teams to prepare and implement your COMPASS plan. Plans may include the development of Just Words Facilitators and/or Presenters to cultivate teacher-leaders and build sustainability.
Just Words® Workshops
The Just Words® Virtual Launch Workshop provides the practice and guidance needed to effectively begin teaching the Just Words curriculum. This full-day workshop is highly interactive and designed to allow for teacher input and active engagement via activities and discussions throughout. The workshop covers an overview of the program, a dive into the materials and resources needed to teach Just Words, and a look at how to use the instructor Manual, including practice planning a lesson. It wraps up with a chance to see Just Words in action, debrief and look at what “next steps” will help participants kick off their Just Words instruction.
Duration One full day (four instructional hours)
Upon completion of the course, participants are able to:
- Identify the skills taught in Just Words: phonics and word study (phonemic awareness, six basic syllable types in English, spelling rules, common Latin roots, prefixes, and suffixes), vocabulary study, and high frequency words.
- Understand the principles of instruction: explicit, sequential, and cumulative instruction that engages multiple learning modalities using multisensory instruction, repetition, and immediate, specific feedback.
- Identify and understand the use of all materials in the Just Words Teacher’s Kit, and have a sense of how to find and use the many extended resources available on the Just Words® Learning Community (membership included with participation in this workshop).
- Use the Instructor Manual to prepare a daily learning plan and practice lesson activity procedures;
- Visualize the flow and pace of a full Just Words lesson completed with fidelity.
- Identify students who may be appropriate for a Just Words class, and understand how to assess students’ progress in the class by using Progress Checks at the beginning of each Unit and with the Unit Test at the end of each Unit.
- Just Words Launch Workshop Course Booklet (provided)
- Just Words Teacher’s Kit, or at minimum Just Words Instructor Manual (recommended)
- Wilson Academy® Just Words Learning Community membership provided after workshop registration
An individual must successfully complete the following requirements:
- Complete workshop and participate in all workshop activities
- Provide workshop feedback via the course evaluation form