Why would I want to claim and maintain a Wilson Professional Credential?
The Wilson Professional Credential program is designed to recognize the commitment to continuing your education and staying current in the field of reading instruction and dyslexia. These credentials validate that you have received the proper training in an evidence-based intensive reading intervention program, and you are staying current with your knowledge about the reading acquisition process for an individual with dyslexia.
If you are eligible to receive a Wilson Professional Credential, you will need to acknowledge the credential in our system. Upon claiming a Wilson Professional Credential, individuals are authorized to use the corresponding letters (W.D.P. for Wilson® Dyslexia Practitioner or W.D.T. for Wilson® Dyslexia Therapist) and associated logo as part of their professional signature.
It is Wilson Language Training’s (WLT) policy to only allow those individuals who are currently credentialed as a W.D.P. or W.D.T. to be included in the Wilson Directory of WRS Certified Professionals. This list is provided upon request to individuals who are seeking tutoring services in their area from a Wilson Reading System (WRS) Certified Teacher.
Other benefits include:
- Advanced notification of upcoming conferences, workshops, webinars, etc.
- Early registration and early-bird discount opportunities.
- Wilson certifications are highly recognized and sought after in the field of literacy education.
How can I earn a Wilson Professional Credential?
Individuals who have achieved Wilson Reading System Level I or Level II Certification are eligible to claim the associated Wilson Professional Credential, which is valid for five years from its issue date. Please view the How to Claim your Wilson Professional Credential video above for step-by-step instructions on obtaining your credential through your Wilson Academy® account.
Does renewing my Wilson Professional Credential mean I have to also renew my WRS Level I or Level II Certification?
Although your Wilson Professional Credential must be renewed every five years, WRS Level I and Level II Certifications are recognized from their issue date and do not expire.
What happens to my WRS Certification if I do not renew my credential?
There are no changes to your status of WRS Certification if you do not renew your Wilson Professional Credential. You will still be considered WRS Certified. However, you will not be eligible for the benefits of a Wilson® Dyslexia Practitioner (W.D.P.) or Wilson® Dyslexia Therapist (W.D.T.) designation.
How many credits do I need for renewal, and what are approved continuing education activities and coursework?
To renew your credential, you will need to obtain a total of 50 WPLC (Wilson Professional Learning Credits) within the five-year period (1 hour = 1 WPLC – Wilson Professional Learning Credit).
If you are looking for ways to earn credits, please view our list of Free & Low-Cost WPLC Offerings below.
There are three “types” of approved activities:
- Wilson Language Training® (WLT) Professional Learning
- Up to 50 hours (50 hours = 50 WPLCs), minimum of 20 hours required
- All WRS, Just Words® & Fundations® professional learning events are eligible for WPLCs (click to view events)
- Wilson Certified Teacher Conference
- Workshops, webinars, seminars, & introductory courses
- WRS Advanced Strategies for MSL Group Instruction Course – W.D.P. only
- Fundations® or Just Words® Workshops
- Fundations or Just Words Presenter Trainings
- Online courses (up to 20 hours)
- WRS Advanced Word Study: Online Course (Steps 7-12) – W.D.P. only
- Certification and Practicum courses (up to 20 hours)
- WRS Steps 7-12 Practicum – W.D.P. only
- WRS Group Mastery Practicum – W.D.P. only
- Fundations or Just Words Facilitator Certifications
- Professional Learning from Recognized Providers
- Up to 20 hours
- Attendance at or completion of professional learning related to the topic of dyslexia and/or reading instruction from recognized providers.
- Self-Reported Professional Learning
- Up to 10 hours
- Other professional learning related to the topic of dyslexia and/or reading instruction. Examples include:
- Reading professional books (3 hours/credits)
- Attending conferences, workshops, webinars, & seminars (not on recognized provider list)
- Completing college/university courses
- Completing online courses
For more details, the Wilson Professional Credentials Event Guide outlines qualifying events, number of credits awarded, and what supporting documentation is required.
What organizations are Recognized Providers for Wilson Professional Credential renewal activities?
- Wilson® Accredited Training Partners
- The other organizations of The Alliance for Accreditation and Certification of Dyslexia Specialists (WLT is also a member): The Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators (AOGPE) and The International Multisensory Structured Language Education Council (IMSLEC)
- Academic Language Therapy Association (ALTA)
- Decoding Dyslexia
- Dyslexia Society of Connecticut
- Everyone Reading (NY & IL)
- International Dyslexia Association (IDA) and branches
- Learning Ally
- The Dyslexia Foundation
- The Reading League
What if I am not sure if a specific professional learning event or activity is eligible for recredentialing hours/WPLCs?
To find out if a specific professional learning event or activity is eligible for recredentialing hours, please email us at email@example.com and include any pertinent information such as the agenda, course syllabi, program guide, or session descriptions.
What documentation is required to demonstrate evidence of completion?
Upon completion of a qualifying course or activity, you will be responsible for obtaining a certificate of attendance or completion.
Additional supporting documentation will be required for the activities below:
Read a professional book: For each professional book read, you will need to write a one-page synopsis and attach it to the Wilson Professional Credential Tracking System under the “Self-Reported Professional Learning” category.
Read a professional article: For each article, provide written documentation describing three take-aways that would benefit teachers and/or students and attach it to the Wilson Professional Credential Tracking System under the “Self-Reported Professional Learning” category.
Give a presentation: Record of advertisement, agenda, or schedule of presentation should be attached to the Wilson Professional Credential Tracking System under the “Recognized Provider Professional Learning” or “Self-Reported Professional Learning” categories.
Listen to a Podcast: For each professional podcast that you listen to, you will need to write a one-page synopsis and attach it to the Wilson Professional Credential Tracking System under the “Self-Reported Professional Learning” category.
Coaching: For each coaching event that you host, please upload an outline of the coaching activities, and attach it to the Wilson Professional Credential Tracking System under the “Self-Reported Professional Learning” category. Coaching activities can be modeling lessons, co-teaching, or running a study group.
How do I document my continuing education activities associated with the renewal of my credential?
Upon completion of a qualifying professional learning event you will need to log into your Wilson Academy account and access the Wilson® Professional Credential Tracking System to enter the event details and upload the certificate or supporting documentation. Each workshop and corresponding certificate/synopsis will need to be uploaded individually. Please view the Wilson Professional Credential Tracking System Overview video at the top of this page for a walk-through of how to log your activities.
How long do I need to keep my professional learning attendance and completion documentation?
We advise that you keep your documentation for a minimum of five years.
What happens if I am selected for an audit?
Wilson Reading System® (WRS) will audit 5% of all Wilson® Dyslexia Practitioners (W.D.P.) and Wilson® Dyslexia Therapists (W.D.T.) during each five-year renewal period. If you are selected for an audit, you will need to verify your continuing education activities by submitting a copy of all supporting documentation to us.
Is there a renewal fee?
Yes, the cost to renew your Wilson® Dyslexia Practitioner (W.D.P.) or Wilson® Dyslexia Therapist (W.D.T.) credential is $30/year ($150 payable at renewal). Accepted forms of payment are credit cards and purchase orders. Please email quote requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
When can I renew my credential?
You will be able to renew your credentials within a window of time around your credential expiration date, if you have earned the required 50 WPLC. You will be emailed notification and reminders when you can submit your renewal.
Professional development entries can be logged until your expiration date and you will have 60 days after the expiration date to process your renewal.
If you wish to view your credential expiration date, log into Wilson Academy to find that information in the “My Credentials” box on the right-hand side.
What happens if I decide not to renew my credential?
If you choose not to renew your credential, you will lose the designation of a Wilson® Dyslexia Practitioner or Wilson® Dyslexia Therapist. You will not be able to represent yourself as such, nor will you be able to use the initials W.D.P. or W.D.T. and associated logos on your print or digital materials. Additionally, you will not be able to be listed in the Wilson Directory of WRS Certified Professionals (a.k.a. tutor list).