Continuing Your Work with Just Words Students During COVID-19 Closures
When facing a situation where students need to be away from school for an extended period of time, such as the current COVID-19 pandemic, teachers and schools will need to find ways to ensure that students receiving Just Words® instruction remain on track with their progress as much as possible. Wilson Language Training® recognizes that exploring how best to address the needs of your students in such a circumstance is important to you, while continuing to keep yourself, students and other faculty members safe.
If teachers are looking for independent activities for at-home practice, please consider the practice pages available in the Student Challenge Books, and items relevant to your current Just Words Unit that may be printed or copied from:
- The at-home activities: Expert Tip – Just Words at Home
- Resources on the Wilson Academy Intervention Learning Community for Just Words.
- At this time, we are pleased to provide you with 6 months of complimentary access to the Wilson Academy: Intervention Learning Community for Just Words.
- If you don’t already have a Wilson Academy account, create one by visiting the Registration page for the Intervention Learning Community for Just Words! Once you are done, you will receive an email to finalize your registration.
- Already have an account but forgot your username or password? Contact Customer Support at 1-800-899-8454 or via https://www.wilsonlanguage.com/contact-us/.
- Just Words Student Challenge Book (If students are already out of school, and books were not sent home we have provided access to these resources on the web and allow limited permission to electronically transmit to students. See: Just Words Resources – Student Challenge Book
While the Just Words program was designed to be delivered directly to a class, and the many manipulatives for teachers and students, as well as informal formative assessment and immediate teacher feedback, are critical parts of the instruction that make the program so successful, we recognize that your school or organization may make a decision to utilize an online meeting/instructional software program to connect with students remotely.
If that is the case, it may be possible for teachers to temporarily provide direct instructional support or even deliver some parts of a Just Words Lesson to students within the established online environment by connecting to the Just Words InterActivities application available on the Intervention Learning Community for Just Words and sharing their screen with students.
Keep in mind that, for some instructional components of Just Words, the student must have access to certain materials (Student Kits, Dry Erase Tablet, Magnetic Journal and Tiles, Student Notebook, Composition Book, and Student Challenge Book) and should take them home in the event of an extended school closure. If students have already been sent home without materials, please see the Manipulative Resources Template.
Wilson Language Training does not have any official recommendations for online meeting platforms for the purposes of Just Words instructional support or lesson activities, nor do we have any research or evidence to support the effectiveness of this mode of delivery. However, we are very supportive of any efforts directed at ensuring the continued progress of your students.
Please reach out to us at 1.800.899.8454 with questions and concerns, and we will do our best to work together with you to ensure that your students have what they need to be successful, wherever they are. We recommend that you work with your school or school district directly to determine if an online solution is appropriate for your situation.
For more information and updates on COVID-19, please visit the CDC’s website.
Although Wilson Language Training would not consider it an infringement to transmit an image of Wilson materials via WebEx™, Skype, Zoom or similar technology, it is an infringement to scan, post, or email Wilson materials for any purpose, including an online lesson. However, given the unique situation due to COVID-19 related closures, and our hope that teachers can continue with their students, Wilson Language Training will allow the scanning of pages if needed during this period of extended closures. The electronic transmissions are limited to the pages needed for a particular lesson, not the entire product. The pages are to be shared directly with students. Please do not forward or post to the Internet. Thank you for your consideration.