Fundations® offers comprehensive program materials, allowing K–3 teachers to confidently present a carefully structured phonics and spelling curriculum using engaging, multisensory techniques.
Each Level of Fundations offers multiple purchasing options that can meet your individual classroom needs. Classroom Sets, a Teacher’s Kit, and individual items are available. Key Level-specific materials in a Teacher’s Kit include a detailed manual with day-to-day learning plans and extensive support materials to demonstrate new concepts using visual and kinesthetic strategies as described below.
- Teacher’s Manual (Level-specific):
- Detailed, easy-to-follow daily learning plan and thorough activity procedures
- Scope and sequence of all skills learned in the program Level
- Activities sequenced by day with a detailed, easy-to-use schedule
- “Getting Ready” boxes at the start of each unit outline Materials, Home Support, and Learning Activities
- “Daily Plan” boxes outlining both teacher and student materials needed for each lesson
- Suggestions for differentiated instruction for advanced, ELL, and struggling students
- A section on each Learning Activity, including Synopsis, Procedure, Differentiation, and Cue Sheet of teacher’s actions and students’ responses
- Unit Tests to determine student mastery
- Extensive resource of controlled text for each unit
- Companion membership to the Level-specific Fundations® Learning Community: To enhance your Fundations instruction, this online community provides printable materials/resources, progress monitoring tools, monthly expert tips, and a discussion board monitored by Wilson® Literacy Specialists.
- Activity Cue Cards: These laminated cards on a ring provide a quick reference for Level-specific learning activities. The compact size makes this a desirable teaching tool.
- Home Support Pack: This packet encourages family involvement by informing parents and support personnel about what is happening in the classroom and suggesting home activities that reinforce classroom learning. Includes reproducible letters to parents explaining each unit, and home activity sheets. Corresponds to the sequence of respective Teacher’s Manual.
- Owl Puppets : A lovable addition to the classroom, Echo puppets are effective helpers for promoting student responses. Echo is a large snowy owl with a swivel head. Baby Echo fits on a ruler or pointer.
- Sentence & Syllable Frames: The Level K and Level 1 sets include eight blue frames for sentence work (two show the shape for a capital letter), three punctuation squares, three white syllable frames, two yellow suffix frames. Level 2 set includes 20 yellow suffix frames and four white syllable frames .
- Alphabet Wall Strip (Levels K, 1, and 2): The Aa-Zz strip hangs on the classroom wall for a quick reference of alphabet order, letter formation, and keywords.
- Cursive Alphabet Wall Strip (Level 3): The Aa-Zz strip hangs on the classroom wall for a quick reference of cursive letter formation, alphabet order, and keywords.
- Keyword Puzzles (Level K): A fun and effective way to associate letters (Aa-Zz), keywords, and sounds; each keyword picture piece is designed to match with the correct letter.
- Large Sound Cards: These Level-specific cards present keyword pictures and letters for phonemes introduced and reviewed at each Level.
- Standard Sound Cards: These Level-specific cards are used to drill sounds and teach word structure. Letters are printed on one side; keywords and sounds are printed on the reverse for previously taught sounds and sounds introduced in the respective Level.
- Trick Word Flashcards (Levels K, 1, and 2): Level-specific, these cards are used to develop automatic recognition of high frequency and irregular words. Words with irregular patterns or untaught word patterns according to the scope and sequence of the respective Level are taught as words to be recognized and spelled quickly and easily.
- Sound Alike Flashcards (Level 3): Homophones that are taught in each unit are presented on flashcards and are used in an activity to help students develop vocabulary and spelling skills with homophones.
- Word of the Day Cards: Level-specific (for Levels 1, 2, and 3) cards are provided for each unit in the respective Level; used to review word structure and meaning.
- Magnetic Strips: These strips affix to media for easy manipulation on ferrous surfaces. Precut adhesive pieces offer easy application.
- Manuscript Letter Formation Guides (Levels K, 1, and 2): Aa-Zz laminated cards on a ring provide step-by-step verbalizations for lowercase and uppercase manuscript letter formation on the Wilson grid. The compact size makes this a desirable teaching tool.
- Cursive Letter Formation Guides (Level 3): Easy to use Aa-Zz laminated cards on a ring provide step-by-step verbalizations for lowercase and uppercase cursive letter formation on the Wilson grid. The compact size makes this a desirable teaching tool.
- Fundations Large Writing Grid (2-pack): This two-sided grid is laminated for classroom dictation work with a dry erase marker. A grid for letter formation is on one side, and a grid for writing words is on the reverse.
- Fluency Kits (Levels 1 and 2): Each is Level-specific and matches the scope and sequence of the respective Teacher’s Manual. Each Kit contains controlled sound drills, real and nonsense words, trick words, phrases, and controlled-text stories (phrased and unphrased) for each unit on reproducible laminate stock. A recording form is included for time drills.
- Stories Set 1: Six beautifully illustrated readers written by Barbara Wilson are designed specifically for Level 1 students. This set provides highly-decodable, controlled text stories for reading practice.
- Books to Remember 2: Five decodable stories written by Laura Appleton-Smith provide additional practice with connected text for Level 2.
- Classroom Poster Sets: Each Level-specific Fundations Classroom Poster Set offers students a visual reminder of the concepts taught in the respective Level.
- Vowel Extension Poster (Levels K and 1): This poster can be cut into strips and used for the Vowel Extension Learning Activity.
- Wilson Cursive® Writing Kit (Level 3): The Wilson Cursive Writing Kit includes an instructor guide, multimedia CD with animated demonstrations for letter formations, laminated worksheets, a Large Writing Grid, Cursive Letter Formation Poster, and a Forward and Backward Slant workbook. Laminated reproducible worksheets (8.5”x 11”) are geared for both right- and left-handed students to practice lowercase and uppercase letters and connectives to ensure mastery.
For more information about specific instructor materials and bundle options, please see our Online Store.
Student manipulatives provide multisensory, interactive opportunities that engage learners in the fun of building foundational literacy. Each Fundations® Student Kit contains two types of interactive materials (or manipulatives): durables and consumables.
Student durables are used by each student and will last from year to year. They include:
- Letter Board: Available in two versions: K–1 or 2–3. The Letter Board is used for arranging Magnetic Letter Tiles or for building words during dictation activities. In the K–1 version, alphabet and syllable frames are printed directly on the board.
- Magnetic Letter Tiles: These tiles are Level-specific and designed to be used with the Letter Board. Tiles are used for phonemic awareness activities and the development of sound-symbol correspondence and spelling. Depending on the Level, Letter Tiles include consonants, vowels (a, e, i, o, and u), digraphs (wh, ch, sh, th, and ck), blank vowel and consonant tiles, and other phonemes introduced in the Level.
- Dry Erase Writing Tablet: The Dry Erase Writing Tablet is two-sided with a large writing grid for letter formation on one side and grids for writing words, sentences, and multisyllabic word work on the other.
- Gel Word Board with Magic Pen (Level 2 only): The Gel Word Board and magnetic-tipped stylus provide a multisensory opportunity to write and finger-trace high frequency sight words.
Student Consumable materials are used by each student and will need to be replaced every year. They include:
- Student Notebook: Student notebooks are provided by Level. Each Level’s notebook matches the scope and sequence of the respective Teacher’s Manual.
- Level K: Used by students for letter formation, keyword pictures, and sounds. Students finger-trace the letters, color the keyword pictures, and write letters.
- Level 1: Used by students as a reference for sounds, spelling rules, vocabulary, and Trick Words. Sections are alphabetized, and space is provided to enter spelling examples, vocabulary, and Trick Words.
- Level 2: Used by students as a reference for sounds, syllable types, spelling rules, vocabulary, and trick words. There is also a dictionary section for spelling options.
- Level 3: Used by students as a reference for sounds, syllable types, rules and Trick Words. Includes a vocabulary section and a sound-alike section where students can write in definitions of words learned in the lesson.
- Composition Books: Specifically designed for Levels 1, 2, and 3, each student has a Composition Book for dictation of sounds, words, and sentences. Composition Books provide the writing guides and structure to assist students with letter formation. Also includes Unit Test scoring grid pages for each Unit Test.
- Desk Strip: A colorful reference tool with Aa-Zz letter/ keyword pictures, numbers, ruler, a counting block, and space for students to print their names. For Level 3, the Cursive Writing Desk Strip is provided.
- My Fundations Journal: Each two-page spread includes a box for drawing and the Wilson grid.
For more information and purchasing options, please see our Online Store.
The Fundations® Pre-K Activity Set includes all Fundations Level Pre-K instructor materials and student materials. Supplies are stored in an attractive box that is easily transported.
The set includes:
To learn more about of our Pre-K Activity Set curriculum, visit this page.